Monday, June 07, 2004

What's playing on my ipod

As I write this, I’m listening to the Divine Liturgy of the Orthodox Church, performed by St. Vladimir’s Theological Seminary Choir. So we have a Baptist student at a Methodist seminary visiting a Benedictine monastery listening to Orthodox liturgy. I’m a one person ecumenical movement.

I’ve looked for a cd of Benedictine liturgy in English, because I thought some of my friends might be interested in hearing it, but so far have only been able to find it in Latin. The Orthodox liturgy is similar in sound, but different in emphasis. Benedictine liturgy revolves more around the Psalms, while I would say that the Orthodox liturgy, written by St. John Chrysostom, is more sacramental in nature. Interestingly enough, this morning the monks read parts of two of Chrysostom's homilies this morning.

No comments: